Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love this year's Thanksgiving Day!  Not only is Jared home and the five of us are spending the day together, it's also Pajama Day in the Ahrens home!  I love days like these where we get to lounge all day in our pjs, and enjoy being comfortable and just hang out with each other. 

It wasn't by choice that today turned out this way, but I'm thankful that it did!  You see, the kids were so gracious this month of November to take a week each of being sick.  It was inevitable that I would get whatever germs they so lovingly passed on.  So yes, I'm sick, but I'm not complaining about staying home.  And I get to look forward to a meal that Jared will prepare later (he totally stepped up and ran to the store after work yesterday to buy whatever he is going to concoct up tonight!  We're formally celebrating Thanksgiving tomorrow with Jared's parents).

I didn't grow up celebrating Thanksgiving.  But I think it's great that time is set aside each year for people to stop and reflect about the blessings in their lives.  While I think this should be an on-going practice throughout the year, there's intentionality in this season, especially since it's the season of ultra-materialism, full-on gorge fests, and a huge sense of entitlement (especially kids with receiving gifts). 

As you know, I just came back from a mission trip to Bolivia.  What I saw and experienced there was something that is not indicative of life in the States.  Every culture is different, and every culture has beauty in its own respect.  Every one's needs are different.  In Bolivia, in just so happens that the needs are more dire.  While basic needs of food, shelter, a loving family are apparent, most Bolivian kids don't know what it's like to not have a Wii in their homes or to play games on an iPad.  So, they're not complaining about not having those techy things.  Their needs and wants are more immediate and necessary, like being grateful to even have one meal a day. 

I experienced a huge culture shock when I returned from Bolivia.  The first night I had to work happened to fall on Halloween (which I'm not a big fan of anyway).  I've never worked on Halloween night, and I guess the stores at the mall give out candy to trick-or-treaters that come in.  Because I worked the closing shift, by the time I got there, all the candy was gone.  I kid you not, within 10 minutes of starting work, I was yelled at by parents who were furious that my store didn't have candy to give out.  I had a mom, who had 3 kids in tow, tell me that I sucked.  Nice example for your kids, lady!  Another mom sarcastically asked me what I was going to give them instead since we're out of candy, and how about I throw in a dress. 

All I can say is...wow!  I was not expecting this.  I mean, I knew that the common practice is to give out candy to kids on Halloween.  But I never thought that this huge sense of entitlement could get so ugly.  And what shocked me was that it came from the parents!  And in front of their kids, too!  No wonder kids these days are so messed up!

I don't believe in guilt-tripping Americans or other wealthier cultures because they have plenty. But I strongly advocate that these said cultures practice an attitude of gratitude, and to instill it especially in their children. Even the simpliest question of "What are you thankful for today?" can be a wonderful daily practice in the family over meal times or as you're tucking your child into bed.

And for this reason of instilling an attitude of gratitude, I created a family Thanksgiving Tree, and had my children write one thing that they are thankful for each day.  And I pray that in time, my children will develop a heart of thankfulness and be mindful of all the blessings in their lives, and hopefully, they will extend their blessings and BE a blessing to others!


I've never watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade till today, and I love experiencing something new along with my kids (Jenna is sitting on my lap and we're oohing and aahing together as we see the different floats go by, and yes, I'm typing intermittently as well!), and I'm just thankful for every moment of being with my family.  So, I'm going to go back and enjoy the parade.  I just wanted to take some time out to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

And in the spirit of Thanksgiving...I'm thankful for the gift of life, both earthly and eternal, and the love of a selfless husband (who watched the full first season of Downton Abbey with me this week!) and the blessing of wonderful children!

Thankful for my beautiful girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment