Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The List...#10, #11, #12

#10. Get a new bike

The last time I owned a bike was when I was at ISU.  I lived off-campus and thought it would be a great way to get around if I had a bike.  I had a small car too, but it just seemed silly to drive 2 minutes to campus and take 10 minutes to find a parking spot.

Anyway, I've always loved biking.  Joshua loves the story of how I learned to ride a bike.  I remember my dad taking me to the top of a small hill, and he, literally, pushed me down it.  Yep!  That's how I learned to ride.  I fell a lot, got lots of cuts and bruises, but hey, I learned how to ride my big girl bike!

Growing up, one of my favorite places to ride my bike was along the beach.   There was a bike path that hugged the coast, and it would go on for miles and miles.  I loved going fast...I loved feeling the wind on my face...I think I just loved the freedom and the escape from the mundaneness of life (I was pretty philosophical back when I was 7...haha!).  As an adult, it would be a dream come true to ride a bike through the English or Italian country sides.  The rolling hills and endless beauty are so appealing.  Biking, like running, can be very therapeutic.  As least for me, anyway.

So, having been bike-less for almost 14 years (I was in a hit-and-run accident at ISU which totally crumpled up my bike!  That's another story for another day...), I really wanted to get one this year.  I mean, the kids have their own bikes, a friend gave Jared a bike.  I was the only one without one.  So, I went to my favorite outdoor store, REI, and did some research and tested out some bikes (with short stubby legs, I was resigned to the kiddie bikes.  But there are custom bikes out there for women with shorter legs).  So, this Spring, I was beside myself to bring home a brand new Navaro Fiona!  We've just had a ton of fun biking together as a family this summer!  I'd love to take my family on the Prairie Path this Fall for more biking fun!

My new bike!
 
We typically ride our bikes after dinner time
 


#11. Do something I've never done before...go on a cruise!

Jared and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary this year.  We wanted to go somewhere memorable, do something that we've never done before.  We both have never been on a cruise.  So, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do just that.  It seemed a romantic way to celebrate our anniversary!  So, we decided to go on a 6-day cruise to the Bahamas!

At Jacksonville airport, waiting for the bus to take us to the pier.
 
Our Carnival cruise-liner.  Holy cow, it's huge!
 
Walking around and checking out the ship.  I believe this is on the upper deck.

The inside of the ship...it's like a mini city!

Looking down from the upper deck into the "main" lobby area.
 
I was a little nervous at first, because I'm very prone to motion sickness.  The first day was rough.  I thought sitting outside on the balcony with some fresh air would make my stomach stop doing flip-flops.  But it was worse.  I just needed to go inside and lie down.  Day 2 and beyond, things got a lot better.  At times, I could feel the rocking of the ship, but it wasn't bad.  It was actually quite soothing as we took naps or went to bed. 

I was pleasantly surprised by our room.  I think it helps being small, because to everyone else, it may seem a little cramped.  But the fact that we had a king-sized bed in there, it was roomy enough for me!  We were able to order room service 24/7, and really, the food was great!  I think the sushi bar and the round-the-clock availability of ice-cream made the trip worth while! 

Our room with a king-sized bed!  And our window with a view!
 

Apart from the food, we loved the on-board entertainment.  The nightly staged shows were of professional quality, and we enjoyed the comedians (when their jokes were clean) and particularly enjoyed the trivia quizzes (we're such competitive people!). 

Me and my handsome husband during formal night before dinner.

The downside of the cruise was that there were a lot of teenagers.  The drinking age in the Bahamas is 18.  Need I say more?  Fortunately, Jared and I were able to find a pleasant spot on the upper decks to sit out in the sun, read, tan, sip cocktails, and enjoy some peace and tranquility!

My view on most days as I laid out in the sun!
 
Our first stop was to the private island of Half Moon Cay.  We had to take a ferry from the ship to the island (you can see the ferry on the right).  I love the crystal blue waters!

We really enjoyed our first cruise.  However, I think we'd take the all-inclusive resorts over the cruise any day!  It was a good experience though!

Having some cocktails at the Piano Bar on the last night of our cruise.


#12. Do something exotic...swim with the dolphins!

Again, on our cruise, I was able to check this next thing on my list off!  Everyone has a different definition of the word "exotic".  I guess I equate it to something that is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, or something that I wouldn't get to do very often.  Living in Australia, I did get to swim with the dolphins, but I never got close enough to touching them, let alone hugging one or dancing with one!  So, it was a no-brainer when an excursion on the cruise presented itself to us.  We signed up for our "Dolphin Encounter" in Nassau!  And by far, it was both Jared and my favorite thing about our cruise.  (and just an fyi...dolphins are my favorite animal/mammal!)

 
So happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment