Friday, August 30, 2013

The List...#7, #8, #9

I know it's been a while since I last blogged about my 40 things to do list.  Just having too much fun this summer!  Well, now that summer is officially over since Joshua is back at school, I figured I need to pick up where I left off.  I've been checking off a few things on my "40 List".  Here are just a few...

#7.  Take a Zumba Class

And I did!  And I loved it!

I utilized a Groupon gift card which I got for my birthday to purchase a 10-visit pass.  Today was my first class, and I was greeted by the warmest people at the Health First Wellness Center in Schaumburg.  My Zumba instructor, Terri, was ah-mazing!  She's probably my mother's age, but she had the energy of my four-year-old!  And she rocked it!  The class was so much fun, and I can't wait for my next one!

#8. Own a pair of Tom's shoes

I feel like I'm the last person around who owns a pair of Tom's shoes.  But a cute red wedge caught my eye in Nordstrom on my way to work on a winter's day.  I'm not a shoe person by any means, but for some reason, I fell in love with this pair of wedges.  So, in January, I started saving for these shoes.  In May, I became the proud owner of a pair of Tom's shoes! 

(My Tom's!  Do you like how the Ninjago guys in the background are adoring it too?
 
 
#9.  Find the best recipe for ribs
 
I know it's only June, and the year is only half-way through.  But I've tried 4 ribs recipes so far, and I've narrowed it down to my favorite.  But before I reveal the recipe, I wanted to address my insatiable appetite for ribs.  I've always been a "give me meat or steak" kind of girl.  I attribute that to my dad's influence!  He used to work in the shipping business, where he would deal with the import/export of food to big shipping companies, like ocean-liners, fleets, etc.  So, my dad knows food!  Hence, his food snobbery rubbed off on me!  He knew what and where to get the choicest steaks, the best wine, the sort-after seafood.  
 
I don't remember when it was when I tried ribs for the first time.  I've had home-made Chinese pork ribs, but maybe it wasn't till I moved to the States that I tried ribs bathed in BBQ sauce.  And I was in heaven!  I think the best ribs I had was when I was in Louisiana.  It was a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant.  I remember we had to climb up a narrow set of staircase and were ushered to a rickety table and chairs.  But the ribs made up for it all!  I haven't been the same since!  I love the South!  And I have yet to find ribs of the same caliber in the Chicagoland area.  Hence, my quest this year...to find the best recipe (or something close enough!) so that I make it myself!
 
I know I don't like the dry rub ones, nor the ones that have hardly any meat on it.  I've had decent ribs at Wildfire Restaurant, but roll my eyes at other franchises that say they have the best ribs in town (I don't think so Chili's, Applebee's, and even Portillo's!).   My criteria for good-eatin' ribs are that they have to be fall-off-the-bone, juicy, sweet & spicy, and just finger-lickin' good!  The ones that require a bib and a boxful of napkins.  Tie-your-hair-back, take-jewelry-off-your fingers, roll-up-your-sleeves, and be-ready-to-get-messy kind of ribs!
 
After scouring websites, cookbooks, and some recipes from friends, I think I found one that's pretty close to what I tasted in Louisiana.  Thanks to my friend, Sam, here's the recipe.  It's simple, but so delicious!
 
 
BBQ Ribs (oven or grill)
Boil (90 mins)
Bake @ 425 (20 mins each side) or
Grill each side with BBQ sauce

- baby back ribs, quartered slabs
- boil, then simmer in stock pot w/onions, minced garlic, generous amounts of salt & pepper, or Lawry's seasoning. Any savory or mesquite spices will do.
- after boiling until meat is fork tender or easily pulled away from bone, transfer to baking pan or large dish
- generously slather on BBQ sauce of choice, bake curl side up first (20 mins), then flip,
  slather more BBQ sauce, finish baking other side (20 mins) or browned & glazed to liking
 
I made the ribs accompanied with an Asian Ramen Salad.  This picture doesn't do it justice!

No comments:

Post a Comment