Monday, October 15, 2012

Let the children come...

In a few days, Jared and I will be leaving for our mission trip to Bolivia.  This will be the second mission trip that we'll be going on as a couple.  The first one was to Costa Rica in 2005, right before we decided to start family.  I am beyond excited to be heading to Bolivia!


I've always had a heart for missions.  Maybe it's because I love to travel,  to see new places, to meet new people, and to be the hands and feet of Jesus.  But there's also something deeper than that.  We live in a land of plenty, where we are not in want majority of the time.  We have clothing, food, and shelter.  Our basic necessities are met on a daily basis.  As you already know, there is a whole new reality that exists in other parts of the world, where millons live on less than $1 a day.  Poverty, malnurition, hunger are prevalent and the norm.  And the children...oh, the children. 


A few years ago, when we were attending Willow Creek Church, Bill Hybels gave a message (which preceded his book) on Holy Discontent.  He challenged us to figure out what our holy discontent was.  Here's his definition:

"What is the one aspect of this broken world that, when you see it, touch it, get near it, you just can’t stand? Very likely, that firestorm of frustration reflects your holy discontent, a reality so troubling that you are thrust off the couch and into the game. It’s during these defining times when your eyes open to the needs surrounding you and your heart hungers to respond that you hear God say, “I feel the same way about this problem. Now, let’s go solve it together!”

At that moment, I realized what my holy discontent was - it's the abuse and injustices done to innocent children, the abandonment of children in whatever circumstance, particularly those who are orphaned.  I remember tearing up when I came to that realization.  I had never known my capacity to love children until I started working in the children's camping ministry, which was what brought me here to the States in the first place.  After which, I became a teacher and it seemed like the floodgates of my heart just opened to each and every one of my students.  I remember so vividly the very first time I had to explain to my 2nd graders what a "code red" was at school.  We went through different scenarios, but assured them of their safety.  I remember little Mads (he's Swedish) asking me what would happen if the "bad guy" was able to get into our classroom.  I remember looking at him squarely in the eye, and said, without a doubt in my mind, that I will protect them, and that this "bad guy" would have to get through me to get to them.  And in that moment, I knew that I would willingly lay down my life for them.

And as if I thought I had reached capacity, and wondered how I would ever love my own children more than my students, God exploded my heart with an indescribable love for my Joshua, Jenna, and Becca.  The kind of love that transcends words, understanding, and comprehension.  I began to understand the kind of love that God has for me.  And I believe this is just a glimpse of it!

As I learned and became more involved in mission organizations, like Bright Hope International, my thoughts and convictions began to move globally and I saw the dire needs of children overseas.  I remember watching a current affairs program reporting on the sex trade of children in Southeast Asia, and that totally messed me up.  I was angry, furious, outraged, and I wanted to get on the first plane there to rescue these girls (but not before I punched their pimps in the face first!).  And I wondered how desperate these children and their families must be to have to resort to this.  At the same time, I became aware of evil that lurked in the predators who kidnapped or lured these innocent girls into their disgusting schemes.

Then, it was at a Steven Curtis Chapman concert that triggered something in my heart about the orphans in China.  The Chapmans are huge advocates of adoption, and they themselves adopted 3 little Chinese girls.  It was after the tragic death of their youngest daughter, that they started an organization called Show Hope, and they built a care center called "Maria's Big House of Hope" in China.  What is unique about this center is that they open their doors not only to orphans, but to children who are abandoned because of a disability.  Historically, it is common to see abandoned babies and children in China, for whatever reason.  Even in my own family's history (great-grandparents or prior), there have been incidences of giving up one's child.  Even though it was/is the norm, it doesn't make it right.  I am pleased to say that I am now a sponsor of Show Hope (the organization provides grants to those who want to adopt but can't afford it), and it is my hope and prayer that one day, I can visit Maria's Big House of Hope in China, and to be able to love on the beautiful children there! 

I can go on and on about all the incidences that occured where God pulled at my heart strings for the children, the women, the orphans.  But with all this said, my heart yearns to right the injustices done to these little ones.  But I know that I am just a peon in the grand scheme of things.  As I look forward to Bolivia, I am excited to meet with the children and to love on them, even if it's just one child.  I wrote in my support letter that my own children are so blessed and priviledge to have loving parents, and they, inturn, know that they are loved.  I want to extend this love to the Bolivian children.  So, let the children come.  And may God give me His heart to love them extravagently!

Our trip:
We'll be serving at Bethesda Church.  Bright Hope International describes Bethesda as "a 100 person church located in El Alto, one of the poorest and most dangerous cities in Bolivia. Twelve years ago they began a children’s ministry to reach out to the children of this impoverished community. Last year, they began dreaming of ways to expand the successful children’s program which ministers to over 150 kids that attend on Saturday mornings".  Our team will be training the teachers and the pastors of the church.  While I'm excited to use my teaching background on this trip, I just want to be the hands and feet of Jesus and just love these kids.

Jared and I covet your prayers! 

 



Some resources:

Bright Hope International
www.brighthope.org

Show Hope
www.showhope.org

International Justice Mission
www.ijm.org

When Gary Haugen, president of International Justice Mission (IJM), came to Willow Creek and gave a message at the Leadership Summit, that rocked my world too.  I would recommend his book "Just Courage" to anyone who is interested in learning how to jump in and do something about their holy discontent.  But be prepared to be changed!

Freedom Firm
www.freedomfirm.org

My friend, Becky, just began working for Freedom Firm, an organization who specifically targets at rescuing girls from India who are trapped in the sex trade.  They rescue, rehabilitate, and essentially, offer dignity and a second chance to these rescued girls.  To find out more, go to their website at www.freedomfirm.org.  Also, on Saturday, October 27, Becky is hosting a Dinner and Silent Auction event at Willow Creek where you can find out more information about the organization and enjoy an Indian cultural night!  If you're interested, let me know and I can connect you to Becky.

No comments:

Post a Comment