Saturday, October 13, 2012

Simplicity, Part 4

I finally finished Mindy's book, and am filled with hope, and a desire to want to live a life of simplicity, and to claim the freedom and joy that God promises to all who choose it.


Simplicity as a way of life - is that possible?  I believe so.  With God's help, and the conviction to pursue this way of living by practicing spiritual disciplines like prayer, solitude, bible reading, journaling, intentional time of soul searching, serving others, and the accountability of spiritual friends, these are all practices that will draw us closer to God and to the life that He intended for us.

I found her concept of "Going AWOL" intriguing.  Mindy's interpretation of this acronym is "A Way Of Life".  She encourages us to find an "AWOL group", modeled after something like a 12-step group, but for Christ-followers.  She states that this "group of fellow journeyers, dependent on God, committing together to intentionally help one another grow by moving beyong passive acknowledgment of ideas - beyond attending and listening...we want to be Christ-followers who intentionally pursue relationships, practices, and experiences that, woven together, form a way of life." (p. 77)

Now doesn't that sound nice?  The skeptic in me says "yeah, only in a perfect world".  But I don't think there's anything wrong to desire that kind of community.  God has wired me to be highly relational, and there is nothing I enjoy more than being in the company of good friends.  Real, authentic friendship gives me hope; it shows me agape love; it gives me a glimpse of heaven; and it becomes the life-line which I rely on to point me heavenward.

I am grateful to have many friends and acquaintances.  But am truly blessed to have a group of close friends who know me and have my back.  I long for an inner circle that I can call my "AWOL group", those who seek the same goal and purposes - to choose a life of simplicity and freedom.

Let me end by quoting from Mindy's book:

Simplicity as a way of life is a vision we pursue with great intensity - not from a shrill or rigid place of striving or fear, but because we long for freedom and life.  We want to breathe deeply, sleep well and spend ourselves for the causes with wisdom and energy.  Thomas Kelly ends his compelling chapter called "The Simplification of Life" thus:

Life from the Center is a life of unhurried peace and power.  It is simple.  It is serene.  It is amazing.  It is triumphant.  It is radiant.  It takes no time, but it occupies all our time.  And it makes our life programs new and overcoming.  We need not get frantic.  He is at the helm.  And when our little day is done we lie down quietly in peace, for all is well. (Testament of Devotion, p. 100)

(Simplicity, p. 76)

Thank you for journeying with me through this book.  I pray that it has blessed you, and may you find true freedom and the way of life that God intended for you.

Love and blessings to all!  And now, I'm going to SIMPLY enjoy my SIMPLE apple crumble - my first one of many this fall season!


No comments:

Post a Comment