Thursday, January 10, 2013

The List...#1 & #2 of 40

As I mentioned in my previous post, I created a list of 40 things that I would like to do in my 40th year.  I'm not sure if I'll get to all of them, but I hope so!  Honestly, I don't have all 40 yet, but I'm excited that my "fun and fabulous forty" has begun!  So, here goes...

#1. Have a phenomenal day with Jared and the kids on my birthday.

And I did!  I had the best birthday ever with my awesome family!  The day started off great with Jared and the kids allowing me to sleep in (till 8am!!  Whoo hoo!!).  They made me breakfast in bed, and they gave me their gifts...a Les Mis CD and a DVD with a collection of 8 British movies (very Downton Abbeysque!). 

My gifts!  And you can see my breakfast-in-bed tray in the background too!

We then got ready for the day, and packed the kids in the minivan and headed downtown to Navy Pier.  I've always loved downtown Chicago.  I guess growing up in major cities has left a mark on me.  What do they say?  You can take the girl out of the city, but you can't take the city out of the girl.  I love the vibrancy, the eclectic blends of culture, the exploration of new things/places, the explosion of colors, the endless possibilities of things to do in the city. 

Before heading out to Chicago, I HAD to make a quick stop at Caribou Coffee, where I was able to redeem a free birthday coffee (whoo hoo again!).  We then drove down to Navy Pier and spent most of our day there.  We arrived pretty close to lunch time, so we bought McDonald's for the kids.  Jared and I were not hungry and so we waited to have lunch till later.  We have the DuPage Children's Museum membership, which gives us free admission to the Chicago Children's Museum at Navy Pier.  It's one of our favorite places to go as a family.  If you've never been there, there is a spectacular view of the city in the "Water Works" area.  Needless to say, we all had a lot of fun.

There are these amazing stained glass displays at Navy Pier.
 
At the Children's Museum...the kids love to climb!
 
Trying to build a house!

Around 2:30pm, we left the museum and went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Restaurant for Jared and my lunch.  I've never been there, and have always wanted to go.  So, today seemed like the perfect opportunity.  Jared and I shared the gumbo, jambalaya, and the drink of the day which they called a Merry Margarita.  I don't particularly like margaritas, but this one looked intriguing.  We kept the kids busy with a basket of fries and games on our iPhones!



Gumbo and Jambalaya!
 
Merry Margarita!

It was an impromptu decision to go to the John Hancock building.  I've always loved going to the Signature Lounge for afternoon tea or coffee.  So, I mentioned to Jared that if we were able to find on-street parking fairly close to the building, then we should go to the Signature Lounge.  And oh my goodness!  We had a stellar parking spot, less than a block away from the building!  So, we went all the way to the 96th floor, had our coffee and oohed-and-aahed at the amazing view of the city and suburbs beyond.  We went at the perfect time because all the lights came up and lit up the city streets.  It was gorgeous! 

At the Signature Lounge
 
The city lights just came on!
 
Family pic

We still had about an hour to spare before our meter was up, so we decided to walk across the street to The Water Tower Place.  I've always wanted to go to the American Girl Place, so I took Jenna with me, and we were both enthralled!  Jenna kept pointing out to dolls and exclaimed "Oh, that's me!".  I guess you can pick out dolls that look like you!  It was a pretty amazing place...with a hair salon for the dolls, and a "hospital"??, and I guess you can make reservations for "tea time" at an actual cafe there.  Whoever thought of all this is making a butt-load of money!  But I don't think could bring myself to buy my girls a doll that costs over a hundred dollars.  That's just insane.   Maybe I can find one on ebay or craigslist.  But I can see how this could be a fun experience for mothers and daughters.  While Jenna and I did our AGP thing, Jared took Joshua and Becca to the Lego Store.  So, everyone was happy.

At the American Girl Place

We finally left the city around 5:30.  I am so amazed and proud of my 3 kids for doing so great that day.  They adapted well to going from one place to another.  No one had any meltdowns.  Whining was at a minimum.  I don't remember them fighting or arguing (I think this was God's birthday gift to me!).  And I think they all genuinely had a good time!  This gives me hope for if and when we ever go to Disney! 

We had such a great time, and I think I love the energy of the city the most.  It definitely is like being at Disney.  You go,go, go!  But at the end of the day, there's nothing like the desire of slumber and rest.  Likewise, with the outpouring of energy as we went from Navy Pier to John Hancock to the Water Tower Place, there was a satisfying welcome of heading home at the end of the day!  And as we were driving home, I was feeling incredibly blessed and happy to be able to spend my 40th birthday with my most beloved and treasured people.  My heart was full and content.

Josh and Jenna helping me blow out my birthday candles.


#2. Birthday weekend away with Jared

My wonderful husband took me to Lake Geneva for the weekend to celebrate my birthday.  Lake Geneva is one of my favorite places!  It's far enough from home to consider it a vacation, but close enough that it doesn't take forever to get to.  It really is a great get-away destination for us.  Jared bought a Groupon (yes, I've trained him well in the fine art of Grouponing!), and was able to get a good deal for a weekend at the Geneva Ridge Resort. 

The view from our window

We left Friday morning.  We first dropped the kids off in Elmhurst with Jared's parents, and then we headed to Wisconsin.  Our first stop was actually to the Outlet Mall in Pleasant Prairie.  Both Jared and I LOVE outlet mall shopping!  And since I hadn't bought any new clothes for myself in 2 years, I was giddy with excitement when I walked into the LOFT store.  Needless to say, Jared left me there while he shopped the rest of the outlet!  I bought a couple of new tops and accessories, and so I think I'm all set for the rest of the year. 

We arrived at the Geneva Ridge Resort (which is actually right on Lake Como, a few minutes west of Lake Geneva) just in time for my spa appointment.  This was Jared's birthday present to me...an afternoon at the spa, and it was glorious!  I had a spa package which included a herbal bath, a wrap, a facial (all of which I've never done before!), scalp massage and a Swedish massage to cap it all off.  Seriously, I could've just taken a nap right there and then.  I felt so relaxed that I floated up to our room.  I didn't want to do anything else but go to bed.

Saturday was an AWESOME day!  I slept in till 8am...whoo hoo!  8:30 for Jared.  While I love my kids, it is such a treat to not have to wake up to tend to little human beings who depend on you.  After a leisurely shower, which is a treat in itself, Jared and I drove into downtown Lake Geneva to a breakfast restaurant called "Simple Café".  I am telling all my friends about this place!  The food is divine!  This will be one of our "must go to" places at Lake Geneva from here on out.

Eggs Benedict with chorizos
 
Apple Crumble French Toast
 
My most favorite thing to do whenever we're at Lake Geneva is to go to the library and spend a few hours reading.  I know it sounds boring, but for someone who can't seem to find the time or place to rest, this is MY place of rest.  At the library, there's a reading area that overlooks the lake, and it is so peaceful, and the view is gorgeous, especially in the winter time.  In the summer time, there are benches right outside where you can sit and look out at the water too.  No matter what the season, when I'm at the library, I can always connect with God there.  I can always find that peace that I need, and I'll read, and journal, and worship.  And before I know it, hours have gone by, and my heart is full, and my tank, filled.

The view of the lake from my favorite reading spot in the library
 


After our reading time at the library, we went to the movies to watch Les Mis.  Jared hadn't seen it, and this was my second time.  I cried like a baby...again!  I don't think I can handle watching it again till a little later.  It's so good, but emotionally draining.  We've been listening to the CD pretty much every day!

Our perfect day had a perfect end - we watched the Packers defeat the Vikings in the playoffs!!

Sunday morning was pretty much the same as our Saturday.  Since the library was closed, we went to Caribou Coffee instead, and did our reading there.  We also did some antique shopping, and then headed out of town.  We retrieved our kids and hurried home so that we could put them to bed and watch the highly anticipated Season 3 of Downton Abbey.  What a great way to end the weekend!

I'm so blessed, and so thankful for a wonderful weekend away with my husband.  Jared and I had great conversations, and just appreciated the time we had to connect with each other and to connect with God.  Jared knows me so well, and since quality time is my love language, I indeed felt deeply loved this weekend!  This is by far the best birthday ever!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a wonderful bday in the city and weekend away. :) They both sound wonderful. I can't wait to read more of your 40 list!

    ReplyDelete