Monday, January 9, 2012

He waits

So, it's the 2nd week of January, and so far so good...I've been able to keep up with my goals for the year (blogging, working out, etc.). How are you doing with your goals?

I have to admit, I haven't really been struck by anything I've been reading these past few days. Actually, if I'm brutually honest, I have not given enough time and attention to the reading materials. I KNOW that there are treasures to be found, truths to be revealed, and given a nice chunk of time, I will be struck, probably more than once, by what I've read.

Now that school is back in session, and life is back to normality (having Jared home between Christmas and New Year was heaven!), it's taking me a while to jump back into the routine of things. My mornings are usually a blur. I rarely have breakfast before 9am, even though I've been up for a while. Once Jared and Joshua leave the house, I try to get the girls settled and then attempt to sit down for a quick and simple breakfast, and try to get some devotional reading done.

Try is the operative word. Because it seems like every 2 minutes, my 2-year-old is calling out to me, or the baby starts crying and needs to be moved again because she's tired of staring at the multi-colored giraffe hanging from the jungle gym. So, just a couple of days ago, the same said situation occurred. After tending to the girls, I walked back to the kitchen table to resume my breakfast and reading. I looked at the "spread" on my table and had to chuckle. Yep, this is a true picture of when Motherhood tries to meet Godliness! Only moms know that the baby's rattle is very versatile, and can be used as a bookmark when needed. (truth be told, I've used a diaper to wipe up a major spill...it's absorbant! I patted myself on the back for being resourceful!)


But even in the midst of the chaos, God is right there with me. I picture Him sitting across from me, understanding that I'm trying to spend time with Him but at the same time, needing to excuse myself to tend to my children. He sees everything. He sees my heart. He sees my cold, half-eaten bagel, and will honor the sacrifices I make for my children. And He sees yours too.

And no matter how long we take to come back to Him, He waits. Even if it takes 10 minutes, a few days, a season. He waits. And when He sees just a glimpse of us coming around the corner, He will drop everything and sprint toward us with open arms. Just like the father in the parable of the prodigal son...

But while he was yet at a distance, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. (Luke 15:20)

While I haven't found new treasures in my reading these last few days, I'm still reminded of the truth of who God is. I am so glad we serve a loving, ever-patient, COMPASSIONATE God, don't you? Even if I did use a rattle to bookmark a page in His Word!

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog, Yvonne! I just signed up to follow you by email... :)

    ReplyDelete