Sunday, January 15, 2012

My New Sewing Venture

This is not my regular blog entry. Rather, it's a shameless plug for my new sewing venture. I already posted this on Facebook, but I hope to be able to share it with you here on my blog.

Here's what I wrote on Facebook:

I don't even know how or where to begin...I started sewing again, and I made a pillowcase dress for Jenna and had her wear it to church one Sunday. Some of the ladies made a comment about it, and even suggested that I should try to sell it. So that thought has been in my head for months now (this happened in the summer). But with our move into our new home, Becca being born, Joshua starting Kindergarten, I just didn't have time to get any sewing done.

When Jared was home between Christmas and New Year, I had some time on my hands and started tinkering with some sewing projects. My friend, Jen, from church, suggested that I come up with a Spring/Valentine's Day line. So that's what I did. I have a few outfits that I've sewn, and I've put them on Kodakgallery, and maybe I'll post it on Facebook (yikes!).

I guess I feel a little weird "selling" my stuff, for various reasons:

1. I'm not a professional seamstress by any means (there are so many more talented women I know who can sew a lot better than I can, namely, my mother-in-law, Jane, and my sister-in-law, Anne).

2. I don't want people to feel like they HAVE TO buy my stuff. We've all been there...you know, going to those home parties for Tupperware, Pampered Chef, etc., and there seems to be an obligatory feeling of having to purchase something.

3. I know that not everyone will like what I make, cos we all have our own tastes.

4. I'll just feel weird taking money from people I know!

Anyway, I've prayed about it, and from other people's encouragement, I'm going to try and see how it goes. If anything, it will definitely help supplement our family's income. And I feel strongly about setting aside a percentage of my sales to support a ministry.

With that all said and my insecurities exposed, there's a link below to my album in Kodakgallery.com. If you'd like to purchase any of it, please leave a comment above the picture (there's a comment tab), and I'll get back to you. Or you can email or FB me directly. In time, when I gain enough confidence, I'll just list it on Facebook.

(Blog readers, I've uploaded some pics below. Leave a comment or email me if you're interested in any of the items. Thanks!)

Also, if you have any suggestions or comments for me about my new venture, please please let me know! I would love ot hear from you! I'm not business-minded at all, and borrowing a quote, I feel like I'm a "garage seamstress", not a professional one. Again, not sure how this is all going to work. I don't have a system going yet. So, please be patient with me as I work out the kinks.

Thanks for being my guinea pigs! And as always, thanks for being supportive friends!

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=2422512721105%3A799868240












No comments:

Post a Comment