Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Warrior Mom

I know that as parents, we would do anything for our children. I believe that the most important thing we can do, and should do, is to be our children's prayer warrior. And last night, I went into battle for Joshua...

Around 3am, Joshua started crying out (which is very unlike him). So, I went into his room and he was hysterical. I won't go into too many details, but I don't know if he had a nightmare or his imagination got the better of him. Bottom line, he was scared and I will never forget the look of terror in his eyes. Nothing I did could console him, and so I prayed. I prayed like I've never prayed before. I called on the name of Jesus to take away the "thing" that was bothering him, and I was trying to fight off this "thing" that Josh felt was on him.

In my mind and in my heart, I know that there is power in the name of Jesus. While Joshua's state of discomfort did not diminish much, I knew that I was not alone. As I articulated to Joshua that Jesus is here with us, I myself felt and knew it to be true. I am not fighting this battle on my own, but alongside the One who has already defeated the evil one. I held Joshua with one arm, almost like wanting to shield him from whatever was out there, and I was battling with my other. I know this may sound hokey to some, but it's true...this battle, it's true - literally and figuratively! And moms (and dads!), you know you will go to battle with whomever, whatever if there's a threat or potential harm to your child. Nothing compares to the fury of a protective mom! And that super power-like strength and will to stand up and defend your child is, I believe, something innate that God has placed in us.

Despite being in a sleepy stupor today, I just felt convicted to blog about this and how we need to put on our armour of God DAILY! Because there is an unseen battle out there - a battle for our children's souls, and ours too! And we shouldn't take this lightly. I've heard that in America, the evil one uses complacency to cover-up the spiritual battle that exists every day. We become complacent when we decide not to read the bible for just one day, or to say that we'll pray for someone, but don't, or say we're Christians but do not love our neighbors, etc. Complacency is and will be our downfall.

I've personally seen actual spiritual attacks when I lived in other parts of the world. And it's not something to triffle with. The battle is real. While we may not "see" it as obviously here in the US, the evil one uses other means to distract us from what is actually happening. So, I implore you to be praying, if anything, for your children, your family, your marriages. And if you can get people alongside you to pray for each other, even better! I am so blessed to have a group of people who I know are praying for me and my family on a daily basis. It's an indication that we're not alone in this battle. I'm so thankful that I was able to call upon my prayer warriors this morning and I know that they are praying for Joshua even right now. Do you have your platoon of prayer warriors that you can call upon at any moment, and enlist them into battle with you?

Another resource that I've used for years are Stormie O'Martian's books, namely the Power of a Praying Wife, and the Power of a Praying Parent. Each chapter is a prayer for a specific area, and I love how she uses scripture to pray through those issues and areas. I (try to) pray a prayer each day from each book. There is such power when you pray with scripture!! Even when Jesus was tempted in the desert, He used scripture in retort to the devil's temptations. So, let's unleash the power of scripture!

Each night, when Jared and I put our kids to bed, I always pray 3 different scripture passages over them. We chose the 3 for specific reasons: to bless, edify, and commission our children. I would encourage you to find scripture passages that are meaningful to you and use them in your prayer life.

Anyway, Joshua is napping right now on the couch after a terrifying night. God bless him! And as I look at him, he is so worth fighting for!

So, fight the good fight, everyone. God has equipped us with all that we need. Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, for the Lord your God is with you. And daily, put on your armour of God! If you have time, read through Ephesians 6:10-20. But here's what our armour should look like...

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:14-17)


I'm honored and priviledged to be in this battle with you. The victory is already won. We just need to be faithful and fight. So, grab your armour with me, and let's roll!

2 comments: